Overview of Position/Job Purpose:
The Paralegal is principally responsible for support of two Partners in our Abilene office engaged in a primarily transactional practice, with some litigation, as well as certain administrative activities of our law firm. The ideal candidate is proactive, detail-oriented, efficient, and able to work independently in a demanding environment.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Draft and edit various legal documents
- Prepare reports and correspondence
- Analyze legal documents (primarily transactional and real estate) for accuracy
- Perform and coordinate records and legal research
- Client communication
- Maintain calendars and schedules
- Summarize legal documents
- Prepare pleadings, motions and discovery requests and responses
- General administrative work including answering phones, filing documents, receiving incoming mail, preparing shipping, maintaining attorneys’ calendars, managing office events and meetings, and other ad hoc projects
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- 3+ years of paralegal or similar experience will be considered in lieu of education.
- Proactive, deadline-focused, detail-oriented and driven by the task at hand.
- Excellent efficient legal research skills, both electronic and manual; able to perform legal research in Westlaw or Lexis.
- Proficient skill level with Adobe and in Microsoft applications including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Internet Explorer.
- Experience with all phases of document production.
- Experience drafting contract provisions.
- In-depth knowledge of legal terminology and principles.
- Understanding of real estate related legal practice.
- Treats sensitive or confidential information with appropriate discretion.
- Professional communicator (written and verbal), complete with positive attitude.
- Excellent attention to punctuation, grammar, and spelling; experience in editing legal documents is mandatory.
- Able to work professionally and effectively with attorneys and other staff members.