ABILENE CONVENTION AND VISITORS BUREAU JOB DESCRIPTION
POSITION: Visitor Sales and Services Manager
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
FUNCTIONS: Develop and implement a comprehensive plan for marketing Abilene and area attractions and events to potential visitors. Solicit and service reunions, weddings, and group tours to Abilene. Develop programs to promote individual and group travel to Abilene. Work closely with all hospitality partners, travel industry colleagues and provide a high level of service to Abilene visitors.
• Initiate and coordinate familiarization tours and participate in industry marketplaces targeting tour operators, travel agents and group leaders.
• Compiles and reconciles all cash register sales on the last working day of each month. Submit completed reports to the accounting department. Keeps inventory of promotional items (cash register, credit/debit card machine and direct billing).
• Greet visitor center guests.
• Coordinate VIP gifts for non-convention activity.
• Research new companies or activities beneficial to visitors.
• Update and create itineraries as needed.
• Write thank you notes and send surveys within one week of hosting a tour, reunion or wedding.
• Deliver public presentations focused on visitor services/attractions, when requested.
• Solicit and service individual and group travel business through direct and indirect contact with tour operators, group leaders, reunion groups, weddings and input complete information in iDSS (computer system).
• Provide step-on tour guide service as needed to motor coach groups.
• Secure “Bellman on Call” services as needed for motor coach groups.
• Solicit rates and amenities from hotels and attractions for reunions and group tours. Make suggested changes to website for markets within this department.
• Responsible for information distributed at university orientations.
• Conduct hospitality training with personnel of local service establishments, for the purpose of acquainting them with Abilene visitor attractions and special events. Update hospitality presentation and Abilene Fact Book.
• Manage the Abilene CHAMPions program and website including the promotion of taking the online program, keeping track of individuals who are taking and have completed the program, and issuing of the certificates of completion might need to be included.
• Develop and maintain printed materials for visitors and maintain a system for distribution of brochures through hotel/motels, restaurants, and visitor information centers.
• Keep inventory on Abilene promotional items and reorder as needed.
• Work with other Convention and Visitor Bureaus and create itineraries to enhance potential regional tourism business to the area.
• Compile and maintain statistical data relating to visitor industry in Abilene; import visitor requests and be responsible for distributing through bulk mail and answer general inquires for Visitor Information.
• Work with Executive Director to develop an effective sales program for use at trade shows and marketplaces.
• Maintain an inventory of brochures and other printed ACVB material.
• Record and distribute Round Up Passes to attractions.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Update and maintain a current job manual.
• Represent the ACVB in a positive, professional manner in appearance and attitude. ______________________________________________________________________________________
• Four-year college degree or equivalent training and work experience in sales, marketing, tourism related fields.
• Must demonstrate successful experience working with multiple partners and stakeholders
• Must be willing to travel to represent Abilene.
• Must maintain a high energy level, good judgment, ability to work under pressure and strong work ethic.
• Must be self motivated and possess a positive attitude with creativity and problem-solving skills.
• Must be a team player.
• Must possess a professional appearance, excellent communication skills, public speaking skills, strong written and verbal communication skills.
• High level of computer skills and proficient in all Microsoft Office Suites. In-Design experience helpful.
• Must be able to lift at least 30 pounds (ADA Requirement).
• Knowledge of Abilene helpful.
This job is restrictive to working in the office Mon-Friday 8:30-5:00. Occasional evening or weekend work is required.