The Dean provides direction and oversight for academic transfer programs, facilitating a college-wide focus on student learning and success, and ensuring program effectiveness. The Dean must demonstrate a commitment to the comprehensive role of the community college described in the Mission and work with college personnel to enact the Mission. The Dean must communicate, educate, and lead effectively, and encourage others to strive for improvement and excellence.
The Dean supervises academic department chairs and program directors, and collaborates closely with the Dean of Workforce & Continuing Education, Dean of Health Sciences, Director of Libraries, Director of Distance Education, Director of Academic Support, Director of Institutional Effectiveness, and the Director of Dual Credit. The Dean reports to the Vice President of Instruction/CAO.
Dean of Instruction’s Responsibilities:
• Provide leadership to department chairs, program directors, and faculty.
• Cultivate an atmosphere of support and scholarly collegiality among chairs and directors, and within departments and programs.
• Work closely with the VPI to oversee, develop, and evaluate academic transfer programs.
• Communicates with chairs, directors, faculty and administration.
• Coordinates the development and implementation of effective, innovative instructional processes, teaching and learning resources, and educational programs.
• Collaborates with other Deans and Directors to develop, manage, and support educational programs and institutional processes and policies.
• Assists and directs chairs and directors in regular, ongoing assessment of student learning that promotes student retention, support, and success.
• Ensures that the primary responsibility for the content, quality, and effectiveness of program curricula belongs to the faculty and that academic programs adhere to college, institutional and programmatic accreditor, state, and federal requirements and polices.
• Assists chairs and directors with all department and program management aspects including: budgets, schedules, hiring, evaluations, faculty development and training, curriculum, instructional resources, student issues, and program accreditation.
• Supports and engages with faculty by assisting with in-service, professional development, and community engagement and civic opportunities.
• Collaborates with college personnel as necessary to complete special projects and implement initiatives of the college, local community, or state.
• Respects and ensures confidentiality, as well as the rights and responsibilities of students and faculty.
Essential Qualifications and Experience Required for the Dean of Instruction:
• Master’s Degree
• Teaching experience, preferably at the community college level.
• Leadership experience, preferably in higher education and including program and curriculum development.
• Supervisory or administrative experience, preferably leading in a team environment and including employee evaluation and development.
• Excellent communication skills including small and large group presentations, managing meetings, and addressing complaints.
• Effective computer and software skills including creating reports, presentations, PDF documents and forms, online forms, and spreadsheets.
• Ability to organize, prioritize, and complete simultaneous projects.
Please see the full application process at https://www.cisco.edu/about/offices/human-resources/employment